Saturday, November 20, 2010

Totally Unrelated but had to share!!

This post has nothing to do with St. Kitts, but I needed to share this with all of you. 

For those of you who are unaware of "TED Talks" -I urge you to become aware.  They are 15-20 minute videos by some of world's most amazing thinkers and doers.  The themes and subjects are diverse, but all are progressive.  I have been jaw-droppingly astonished and/or enlightened by a number of them.  Most recently, I stumbled across this one and had to share it.   

http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_savage_rumbaugh_on_apes_that_write.html

The talk is on a species called bonobos.  Never heard of them?  Neither had I.  They are found only in the Congo and are simply an astonishing species.  They pretty much make chimps look like single-celled organisms.

I dare you to deny evolution after watching this.  Oh wait - now I can link this to St.Kitts! religion! 

A co-worker asked me the other day if I believed in god.   I wasn't about to lie, but didn't want to offend so I casually replied, "No."  
"Oh, so are you an atheist?" he enquired with a light-hearted smile.  He must have thought this was impossible and was somewhat of a joke, because when I replied yes, he almost fell off his chair: "What?! You mean you don't believe in the father, son and the holy ghost??!"
"uh..nope."
"So, what do you believe in?"
I was very tempted to say "dinosaurs".  But I bit my tongue.
"What do you think happens then when you die?" he continued.
"Nothing.  I live, I die, I turn into worm food."
Silence.
"I'm not saying I am right, " I added, "and that you are wrong - for all I know there is some higher power." 
I couldn't say God with a capital G, but I think 'higher power' was suggestive enough to placate him while maintaining my truthfulness. 
 He was shocked by this.  I wonder if he had actually ever met an atheist before.

It is important, we are told time and again, to be culturally sensitive when working in another country.  I completely agree with this, but I think it is also important to be truthful.  As much as I must learn to respect others viewpoints, they must also learn to respect mine.  It is a mutual relationship.  I think sometimes people in this field forget that.  Now, I would not have brought up or offered my opinion on religion had I not been asked, but I am not going to lie if I am.  I will however tread carefully and respectfully.
I will not, for example, show him this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment